Where Does Boise Water Come From?

Jan 07 2016

Understanding Boise’s Water Sources & Treatment Process

Boise RiverWhat can’t you live without? Your cell phone, music collection, or a favorite article of clothing?  These are all common answers but the realistic answer to this question is water. After all, a normal person who is in the most ideal conditions (no extreme weather or temperature) can live only about 3-5 days without water. So since water is such a crucial part of our lives, it is normal to wonder where the water you rely on so much for drinking, cooking, and cleaning actually comes from and the process it undergoes before arriving to the homes and businesses of Boise.

Boise’s Sources of Water

water sourcesThe tap water of Boise comes from two main sources: groundwater and surface water. In fact, about 70% of Boise’s water is supplied by several different wells throughout the area which is referred as groundwater. The other 30% comes from the Boise River (making it surface water) and goes through one of two treatment plants before arriving to its end destination.

Boise’s Water Treatment Processes

watertreatmentBoise’s water is monitored and tested before, during, and after the entire treatment process in order to maintain its highest quality possible. It is analyzed for several contaminants including microbial contaminants, organic chemicals, inorganic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and radioactive contaminants. To stay protected from some of these contaminants, chlorine is added to both the ground water and the surface water. Also, a chemical called polyphosphate is added to a number of the wells in order to eliminate any present iron and manganese.

The treatment plants use innovative filtration processes to remove any particulate matter from the surface water as well as adjust the pH to reduce the likelihood of water corrosivity and dissolving metals from household plumbing. Fluoride naturally occurs in Boise’s water and no additional fluoride is added during the treatment process. More information on Boise’s water sources and water treatment processes here.

Another Level of Water Filtration: Water Purification

filtrationEven after undergoing the treatment process, there will most likely still be a small trace of contaminants in the water as it makes its way through pipes and household plumbing before arriving to your home or business. These contaminants almost never pose a threat to one’s health. However, rarely there are cases where it does affect people– especially children, elderly, and those dealing with some kind of illness or sickness. For these cases, it is beneficial to have a water purification system.

When looking at water purification versus water filtration, a purification system is a more efficient and comprehensive method of treating water. Not only does it eliminate any possible contaminants that the Boise treatment process could not control, but it will also make the water taste and feel cleaner and fresher. It is another level of filtration that will leave you, your family, and your business feeling confident in the water that is such an important part of everyone’s health.

Learn more about  water purification and get a free home water evaluation from Superior Water & Air today!